Back to Article List
Senior Living - Travel Discounts | Riverside, CA
Nov 30, 2017 by Comfort Keepers of Riverside and Corona
Over 50? Here Are Some Awesome Travel Discounts
Travelling can become more difficult as we age. Medical conditions make it more burdensome, and sometimes even dangerous. Not only that, but travel is so much hassle and money – why would an older person want to do that?
Actually, traveling can actually be cheaper for seniors, thanks to the plethora of discounts out there available to this population. Here’s what you should know about travel deals for seniors:
Why Seniors Are A Profitable Population
As it turns out, a new report shows that baby boomers have over 70 percent of the U.S.’s disposable income. Not only that, but older people have more time to travel, with the average baby boomer taking four to five trips each year.
Who Offers Senior Discounts
Anything from hotels to transportation corporations to restaurants offer senior discounts, or age-related ones in general (“kids eat free on Tuesdays,” for example). You may be thinking, why didn’t I know so many discounts were offered to older people? It’s because they’re generally not advertised.
How to Get Senior Travel Deals
Because of this, you need to be an active planner if you want to get these discounts. Here are some tips for finding and getting them:
- Always carry your ID. If you do get a discount somewhere, they may ask to see your ID to verify your age. If you have a Medicare card, it may benefit you to have that on you as well.
- Join AARP. AARP has the scoop on discounts available to you, and you can get discounts exclusively for being a member. The discount can be as great as 25 percent! There’s also an app you can download for your phone to find offers. All you have to do to become a member is be 50 or older and pay an annual fee.
- Start with the website, then call. Many of the companies’ websites have a page specially dedicated to senior discounts. It’s usually quite easy to navigate and get the information there. If you can’t find anything on the company’s website, give them a call.
- Look at all deals. Just because you may get a discount for being a senior does not mean that it’s the best discount available. For example, if a cruise has a 2-for-1 special, that would be much cheaper than you and your spouse each getting a senior discount. Look at all your options instead of assuming.
- Don’t be afraid to ask. Even if you don’t know if the place you’re at offers a discount, it wouldn’t hurt to ask. Who knows – you may get a half-priced movie or save money on groceries!
- When in doubt, ask a travel agent. In the end, figuring out discounts yourself can be confusing and time-consuming. Talking to a travel expert can make the process quick and painless, as they do the hard work for you.
Whether you’re traveling domestically or abroad, many discounts are available to you. Make some exciting travel plans today!